Do Now Quiz: Answer all questions below silently and individually. Submit to schoology.com
(2-4 sentences response for each)
1. Give me three steps used to conduct an effective interview?
2. Besides Music, what are two ways a documentarian can evoke emotion. Give an specific example from a film for each?
3. Give me an example where a director would use music as either parallel, contrapuntal, or associative. Come up with a scenario or give me a specific example from a film?
4. What are 2 of the 3 aims of a documentarian?
5. What are 3 common mistakes of an amateur director?
How can we identify and demonstrate the pre-production steps for a documentary Films?
1.Watch short documentary in class and identify all of the techniques that the director uses throughout the film to develop the story and make a list?
2.What is the director of this documentary trying to portray to its viewers?
3.Besides Interviews, what techniques are you going to use in your documentary to develop your story?
Develop Your Target Audience page by answering the questions below.
Who is your target audience?
Why is this your target audience ?
How will this film benefit them?
What do you expect your audience to learn?
How will they learn it?
Aim: How can we identify and demonstrate the pre-production steps for a documentary Films?
Do Now: What are the steps of pre production?
Split your production groups in half. Read articles below about the production process of documentary filmmaking. Today you will be creating a budget and schedule for your project.
Students should be able to:
Aim: How can we organize all the work we did this week to create an official treatment?
Do Now: students will go to kickstarter.com and see the platform that they will be placing their treatments on.
Documentary Treatment Outline
Goals/Purpose of Film:
(students will use questions from “do now 4/16” create the outline for your film)
(students will use their plot pyramid to explain the storyline of the film and excite viewers about the plot without giving away the whole film)
Aim: How can we identify and utilize the different Interviewing techniques for our documentaries?
Do Now: Go To http://www.mediacollege.com/journalism/interviews/questions.html
What is the purpose of a treatment?
What are the different types of questions that are asked in interviews for documentary?
In your groups develop a plot pyramid with a brief description for each section of the Freytags Pyramid.
Get In to your groups and answer the 5 question.
Why does this film need to be made?
What do you hope the audience will learn by watching your film?
What change in the world can be sparked by the making of this film?
What aim of documentarian will your documentary hit and why?
Who is your main characters in the film?
- How do we create a treatment for a documentary?
Learning Objectives (swbat)
- Identify the difference between a treatment and a proposal.
- Develop a treatment for documentary film
- This past week we have been watching Hoop Dreams a documentary by Steve James. As with everything we watch in this class you will be required to write a response paper about hoop dreams due on Monday the 15th. I am looking to see that you have a higher level of analysis for documentary films. Hoop Dreams deals with social issues and uses cinematic techniques to develop its story. Using the questions from the week and your notes on the movie you will write a 350 word response paper with an intro, body , and conclusion that uses specific examples from the film to support you point.
Social Issues brought up through out the film.
- drug use
- social economic class
Analyzing the film technically
- Use of Shots and Composition support story.
- Music and its role in the film.
- How did the use of voice over affect film?
- Editors influence.
Then and Now
- How is life of the teens portrayed different or similar to your life.
Questioning the Directors decision
- What does the filmmaker want the audience to believe or do?
- Analyze the message and draw conclusion
- questions you would ask the director.
- Analyzing the film according to the 3 aims of documentarians.